The “Jala de la Piedra” is one of the most important cultural activities that takes place in the Bribri culture. The “piedra” is the large, heavy stone used by the whole community to grind flour, wheat, and coffee. The community all comes together to move the stone into place. It is very symbolic, demonstrating how the community has to all work together as one in order to succeed and survive.
Very few tourists ever have the opportunity to visit this breathtakingly beautiful area of the indigenous reservation. Just the journey alone is very special. The Bribri tribe members are very shy, but they love sharing their unique culture with others. Please join us on this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!
Duration: 9 Hours (approx) – Departure time 8:00 am from Pan Pay restaurant near the center of Puerto Viejo.
Saturday, 1 October depart 8 am.
Cost per person:
– Round-trip Transportation from/to Pan Pay Restaurant in the center of Puerto Viejo
– Breakfast in Bambu on the Bribri Indigenous Reservation
– River crossing by boat
– Round-trip Transportation from other side of river to/from Amubre indigenous village
– Jala Piedra indigenous cultural event
– Cultural tour of the Casa Conica where you’ll learn about Bribri traditions
Lunch is available in Amubre, but is not included in the price.
What to Bring
Sunscreen, sunglasses, insect repellent, hat, money for lunch.